Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Aspiring astronaut Aspiring Astronaut - Help on my career path, Internships, suggestions, etc.?

Ever since I got my first Lego set around 4-5 years old, I have been obsessed with engineering and science in general. At around age 7 I decided that I wanted to be an astronaut, and since then I have done everything I possibly could to make that a reality. (Summer camps, science clubs, robot teams, etc.)



Now I'm 19 years old attending college at the University of Texas in Arlington. I am working on my degree in Aerospace Engineering, and hope to obtain a doctorate within 10 years. Kalpana Chawla (one of the seven crew members aboard the Columbia in 2003) obtained a Master of Science degree in Aerospace Engineering in 1984 from UTA, so I feel that I am on the right path so far.



But now what do I do?



I have asked many people around campus, and spoken with my academic adviser... no one has given me a very concrete answer.



The responses are mostly ';stick with the aerospace degree program'; or ';look around for internships'; etc. Well, I have, but I don't feel that is enough to get me where I want to go.



The internships/co-ops I have found online are very broad, none of them really say ';this will help you be an astronaut... click here to apply'; even on the NASA website. A lot of companies are also looking for students a little further along in their degrees such as juniors and seniors. I am only a freshman in my first semester of college, but a few companies I spoke with at the Intern/co-op job fair were taking freshmen of my status. So, even though I am limited at the moment, I know there are still a few opportunities out there for me now. Does anyone know of any good Internships that will help me reach my goal?



Also, I have noticed that many of the astronauts that were selected recently had some type of government background as well (like working for the CIA and such) Will a strictly science path work for my career choice? Or do I need some experience with the government too? If so, how do I go about doing this?



I run and work out daily; I eat NO processed foods, junk food, carbonated drinks, caffeine, etc. I keep my body VERY healthy.



Does anybody have any advice that will help me reach my goals? I want to know as much as I can before I get too far ahead down the wrong path. I am a freshman in my first semester at college, so if I need to change something, now is the time.



Thank you all!!!Aspiring astronaut Aspiring Astronaut - Help on my career path, Internships, suggestions, etc.?
I would suggest two things. First, look up the online bios of current and past astronauts posted to NASA web sites. They should list the many experiences, awards, certifications, educational and career experiences they have. That would give a pretty good general profile and game plan for any astronaut candidate.



Secondly, contact NASA directly with your aspirations. I'd bet they would be happy to tell you what they need from you and what you need to do to qualify.



Good luck and give us a wave from orbit when you get there.Aspiring astronaut Aspiring Astronaut - Help on my career path, Internships, suggestions, etc.?
You're going to spend your entire life trying to be an astronaut? What if you don't make it(which is very likely)? You will have wasted your life...O__O
Hi, Eric. Just dropping by to say that I think you have a great attitude and shouldn't be dissuaded by the difficulty of your undertaking. Sadly, I can't offer you any advise, but I'm sure others may be able to. All the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment