Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My decision about the Armed Forces?

I'm a 17 year old boy and I'm a freshman in college. I'll be 18 in 2 weeks(Oct 1), but I plan on joining the Marines after college in 2012 or 2013.



I've wanted to join the Marines ever since I was a sophomore in high school and I still want to join as of today. I want to be an 0311 Rifleman and I have absolutely NO fear about getting deployed.



But there's just one thing I'm really scared about. 4 years is a long time, and I'll be alot more grown up by then. What if I suddenly decide that I DON'T want to join? I don't want to end up with some high paying job and decide I'm ';comfortable'; so why ruin it or something like that. On top of that, even though I was born and raised in America, my family is from India and we're hindu, so my family is strictly against violence. My family always tries to discourage me when it comes to the military. They've been controlling me my entire life and they wanted me to be a doctor or an engineer so badly but I said no. And because I decided to major in Criminal Justice(I want to work with the FBI or CIA), they cut me off and I'm pretty much putting myself through community college.



I really want to join, but I'm just afraid of having a change of heart. after 4 years. I want to make a difference. How can I make sure that I don't chicken out at the last moment? How do I keep myself motivated towards joining even after 4 years? I was even thinking of joining the Army Reserve while I'm in college. I would join the Marine Reserves, but boot camp is too long so I'd end up missing a semesterMy decision about the Armed Forces?
Ieatcars,



You say you're a boy, but you asked your question very adult-like. I think you're a man now.



If you're looking at going into the Marines after college, why not consider being an officer? While in college you can join the Marine's Platoon Officer Program, or Naval ROTC - and go with the Marine Corps option.

During your summers you would get a taste of Marine Corps life, and the chance to see if you like it.



I retired a little over a year ago as a Naval officer. I did two joint tours with the Marines and I loved it, but that's me.



Recognize that your family means well - don't resent what they say. But you're a man, and you make up your own mind.



Semper Fi!



';Ranger';My decision about the Armed Forces?
Joining the military (especially the Marines) requires a higher calling. If you proceed with your current plans and after 4 years you decide that joining the military is not the best thing for you, then chances are you shouldn't join. You have to listen to that little voice in your head.



And joining the reserves to stay motivated might not be the way to go either, cause one day POOF!! your deployed for a year. How many semesters would you miss then?



So, to answer your question the best way I can, I think you should stick with your plan, and revisit the issue once you graduate. If you still want to join, do it. If not, then don't. It's as simple as trusting yourself.
Stick with your plan of entering the USMC upon graduation (or go NROTC without the scholarship; experience a bit of the military world and college life, and have no committment). If you do have a change of heart (and you would be just as susceptible to have one while being on Active Duty, just so you know), it's better to have it BEFORE you enlist rather than when you're enlisted or, even worse, a commissioned officer (technically, the military doesn't have to approve the resignation of commissioned officers).
Join ROTC at your college, and if their isn't ROTC at it , then join it at the nearest college that does. Once you get the bug, you won't lose it while in ROTC. Also, since you want to join the Marines, join Navy ROTC, because the Marines don't have an ROTC, they are under the Department of the Navy.
Okay, you are seventeen and thinking WAY to far ahead. Do your college thing and get that out of the way ,THEN think about the military. It'll still be there when you graduate.
I am in agreement with these answers, Try the Civil AIr Patrol as a Cadet they are para-military and no commitment for the military, they are in search and rescue for the AF

No comments:

Post a Comment