Friday, November 19, 2010

What is life like for a combat controller (STO) / Pararescue (CRO)?

I am a 25 year old college graduate, and I have a few questions for those knowledgeable about either of these teams. Please respond only if you know. I am most interested in STO, but I haven't closed the door on CRO. I don't take the decision lightly, and that is why I am asking, no need to flame.



I understand that the attrition rate for both of these specialties is very high (~80%) but I have a few questions before I commit myself mentally to preparing for such a rigorous field.



1. How long can a combat controller reasonably expect to serve before their body or psyche begins to break down, if that happens at all? I have been told that there are some special operations groups in which operators typically discharge due to physical limitations as they age. Is it reasonable to expect that an STO could serve a full twenty years in this MOS, or is that unlikely? If it's unlikely, what do those who wish to remain in the air force do if they're no longer effective as an STO?



2. For an STO no longer wishing to remain in the air force, what jobs in the civilian world is a combat controller qualified for? I know that they are FAA certified ATCs, so I would assume that they could become air traffic controllers, but I know that many military pilots have enough trouble transitioning to a major airline, so I'm wondering if this is the same for combat controllers who attempt a career in civilian air traffic control. I know both are qualified for the CIA and FBI, I'm just wondering if ATC is a reasonable possibility.



3. Which MOS would transfer to the civilian world better, combat controller, or pararescue, or would they be about equal? I know this is a very subjective question, but if you could just list what kinds of jobs each could expect after military that would be great.



4. What can I do to prepare for PAST and 2+ years of grueling training mentally and physically? I don't plan to apply for a year or so, which means I have plenty of time, considering I'm in good shape now. Do you have any advice to prepare for the water portions of the training?



5. What is life like for the family of an STO or CRO? Would I be away from home 50% of the time, or would I be home unless deployed? I imagine there is a lot of travel for constant training, but what approximate percentage of time would this constitute in total?



6. How dangerous is it to be an STO or CRO? Obviously the military is a dangerous profession, but how dangerous are either of these specialties in relation to being say, a fighter pilot? I'm just looking for a ballpark estimate if that's even possible.



I come from an air force family, but my father died on active duty when I was very young so I have little guidance except to visit a recruiter. I'd rather go there when I'm armed with as much information as possible though, so any help you can provide would be much appreciated.



I know it is very difficult to became a member of an elite group like the combat controllers or pararescue, so don't think that I'm naively striving for something I can't reasonably achieve. I excercise intensely five days a week, and grew up in the incredibly rigorous discipline of classical music (the attrition rate for professional orchestras is ~99.5%), so I know what it means to work hard, and I plan to take a year to prepare if necessary. But before I commit, I would like all the information I can get, and this isn't the first place I've looked. I am already aware of www.specialtactics.com and have browsed their page somewhat, I will of course read it even more in-depth as time goes by.



Thanks in advance to all competent responses. If I'm mistaken about anything, please correct me.What is life like for a combat controller (STO) / Pararescue (CRO)?
1. It all depends on your mental attitude and how you deal with stress. These factors will determine how long until you ';Burn Out'; If you love what you do, then you can expect to make a full career out of it!



2. The jobs outlook for an STO is not so bad. You can work anywhere from a control tower to a remote location for a private security company. The money is great too! ATC's make over 100k a year.



3. Pararescue would transfer WAY better in the civilian world. The demand for a Paramedic is HUGE, they need them so bad its not even funny. You could work on a cruise liner, a major city, a private military contractor doing tactical work, you could even be a teacher! The list goes on and on!!



4. If you want to be ready, the you need to train hard! I mean really hard. You need to run, run, run, swim, and run some more. I suggest running a MINIMUM 35 miles a week. I run around 20 miles a week just for fun. Run a half marathon or even a marathon on occasion. Remember, after about the 8th mile its a mental game your on auto pilot, thats the key in PJ training, MENTAL ATTITUDE. The word quit, just simply does not exist. Before training, you need to be able to do at least 100 pushups, 100 situps, run 4 miles in 28 mins.You need to swim, and swim alot. swim at least 8 miles a week. TREAD WATER, for at least 15 minutes w/ shoulders above the water. Also, do alot of hiking with weight in the mountains. Do lots of weight training, dont get all bulky though, go for repetitions, then stretch alot after your workout. Do this your chances of succeeding increase drastically.



5. If your single, stay that way for now. If your married, make sure that its a strong marriage. Your wife needs to be as tough as you are. Shes gonna be going through this with you. Alot of military marriages dont work.



6. Every thing you do will be dangerous... see answer #5



7. If you have a year to train, you should go to the local college and get certified in EMT-B %26amp; EMT-Intermediate. Save the EMT-Paramedic for PJ school. Alot of folks fail this part because its tough. Im in it right now, we started with 30 people, and have 7 left. You will have a head start. Also think about taking some Judo, get certified in SCUBA, and heck, do some skydiving. If you dont like doing that stuff, you wont like PJ. Personally I would prefer jumping out of a plane ad parachuting to a remote wilderness cabin, and saving a patients life that guiding planes in all day.



Good luck in whatever you do. AND REMEMBER train harder than you ever have in your life. NO JOKE. When you think you cant do another push up, or run anther mile, PUSH yourself!! Good luck!!What is life like for a combat controller (STO) / Pararescue (CRO)?
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ahr/jobs_careers/occupations/atc/benefits_training/



';Retired military controllers $37,070';

Report Abuse


Well, until you take the time to read Specialtactics.com so that you can ask intelligent and informed questions, don't count on a PJ/CCT/CRO/STO answering your questions. Every question you asked is answered on Special Tactics.



I can promise you, our schedules are much busier than yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment