Sunday, November 14, 2010

Move to Australia??? General questions.?

I've been think more and more about moving the Australia from the States, even though I'm still a teenager. I'm thinking about having a career in the U.S. military, probably Coast Guard or Navy. So I'd probably be at least 44 when I move. I did a little research and you guys don't have a National CG, just a couple volunteer ones, correct. I wouldn't mind working for the Federal gov't after my military career, but I doubt I'd be able to get a job with Aus. gov't-they'd probably think I'm CIA.





So anyways I was think of becoming a counselor, or social worker. College counselor would be cool, but I'd be much better in the States for that, so I was thinking more suicide prevention, rape counseling, general school counselor, etc... I know and a lot of people try to tell me social workers don't make much money at all (In the States at least), but I don't really care, I'd like to help people. And if I serve 20 years int he U.S. military, I'd have a pension, so I'd probably get around $30-40000 a year, so it can supplement a low income career. How much do social workers make down there? Would it be hard to get a job because I'm American?





I know immigration is pretty tight, so I'd be hoping to find a sponsor, but I'd have to sort things out with passports and everything (I'd like to also remain a U.S. citizen, but I might relinquish it, but I'd rather not).





Some more general questions:


Where is a good place to live on a probable $80,000 salary. Weather is pretty big factor, not to cold, by a beach.





What's the economy down their like? Last year were you guys at a deficit or surplus? I'm a little uneasy with the U.S. being 10 trillion (and counting) in debt.





I don't want to sound like a chauvinist, Ugly American, but how much does the U.S. (our foreign policy, trade, economy, etc...) affect you guys. I think the U.S. has too much power, we make a lot of enemies that way.





Are the taxes high? I'd also be wondering how I would do retirement, with part of my working years in the U.S., part in Aus.











Thanks, I think Australia is a pretty cool country, and, though I'm just toying with the idea now, it would be cool to live over there.





Move to Australia??? General questions.?
You better change your whole 'life plan' as the cut off age for skilled worker (immigration) is 40 years old, you are planning to come after that age.





See http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration.htm





Edit - You are too young to retire, (or at 40) but yeah, if you are over 40 ....you can't just come over for the sack of retiremet, the government wont pay you a pension - what I mean is over 40 you can't come over on a skilled visa. If you have heaps of $$ and you bring a great business to Aussie that will be a different story.


Why not come over now !!!! Man, I love Americans, we call them yanks of course....Move to Australia??? General questions.?
I'll do my best to help you out a bit here.





To immigrate to Australia isn't easy, you need a skill from our skills on demand list (I suspect qualified social worker may be on the list), and you need to be young, the cut-off age is 45. It works on a points system, see www.immi.gov.au for all the details. Sponsorship is extremely rare, I wouldn't count on it.





It is possible to immigrate with armed forces experience in certain skilled areas similar to general skilled migration, see www.defencejobs.gov.au. We have regular armed forces and also part time army reserves.





I'm sorry I don't know how much social workers and counselors earn, but I'm sure you could search for positions vacant to find out.





For places to live consider Sydney, Perth, the Gold Coast.





Our economy is very strong, it has been booming and has had to be slowed down with repeated interest rate rises.





Of course the US economy affects us quite a bit, but we are more affected by China's economy - they are our major trading partner for both imports and exports.





Our economy has been well managed for many years now, so we weathered the Asian crisis without too much trouble either.





Taxes are a little high compared to the US, but once again part of that is to slow the economy.





Australia is more relaxed, more multicultural, less religious and more 'liberal' than the US.
I think it's very sad that 'truthful' feels that way about Australia. I'm also an immigrant - and I had a very strong accent when I arrived. I find that Australians are generally extremely friendly, and they will respond to you in the way that you present to them. So perhaps 'truthful' should take a look at the way she/he treats people.





Bottom line is, if you don't like it here then you can always return to the states.





Anyway, most of your questions have already been answered quite well, so I wont repeat the answers.


Social workers in Qld health are in great demand, it's a difficult but rewarding job and wages are around 50 to 80 thousand dollars a year - depending on what level of skill and experience you are employed under. Social workers are a valued part of our public health system, but there are many other settings that a social worker is employed - including the defence force.





Good luck with your plans, you sound like you could be just the type of personality that Australia needs. There is a cut of age for skilled workers, but it might just mean that you alter your plans to apply to come here to suit.





Border security or Department of fisheries could be another good option for you if you've got experience in the Navy. We need all the help we can get to protect our country and it's marine life.
its a shame what ';truthfull'; said,


but thats not the case everywhere.


like any part of the world, australia has some bad apples





but the good people out rule the bad ones.





i know everyone in my city loves meeting new people,


especially Americans. :)





though we do have our own redneck race down here , known as bogans or deros.


those people make up most of the rude, arrogant know it all Australians.





but generally, we really are good people. just like americans are.





:)
Hi! I am an American girl who moved to Australia two years ago. I advice to you is not to come. Generally speaking, Aussies dislike Americans and America. They say that they just don't like our politics and that they like individual Americans but that is false. In my two years, and I have travelled all over Australia...big towns, small towns, they make fun of our TWANG accent, think they are just the greatest people in the whole world, hate how much of an influence America is in their society and take every chance they have to put the American people and the country down. The country itself is a nice place and if you like beaches and camping, you will really like it. The cost of living is extremely high, not just for imported goods but for homegrown items like fruits and veggies. Blueberries, for instance, grown in AUS in season can cost as high as $6.00 a pint compared to 99cents in season in the US. Strawberries regularly cost between $2.00 and $6.00. Let alone the cost of meat, milk, bread. You would do OK on $80,000 a year but your taxes would be about 40% BUT you would received general medical care free, not dental but you could participate in the government public healthcare and see GP's for a small copay...but be aware that the General Practitioners you see for medical care do not go to med school as long as the GP's in the states do. As far as retirement, you would have a choice between the US social security system payment ( if you worked long enough in the US ) or the Australian pension. My US social security will be about $3200.00 a month if I retire at 70 yrs of age. My AUS pension might be about $1000.00 a month here. All employers do an equilvalent of a US 401K and it is called a Superannuation. There is a deficit right now here in the AUS gov but that isn't such a big deal. If you can get a job builidng houses, you could do very well. Compared to the US, few young people go to University ( college ) even thought their government basically pays for it. Not sure why, there just doesn't seem to be the pride thing about getting a good education. Getting a job in retail or a call center seems just fine for most high school grads and guess what? You can leave school here at 15 and nobody thinks that is a bad thing. There is no negative stigma about being a high school drop out. Also, the high schools have no school pride, or spirit. High school sports don't really exist and no Friday night games or Saturday morning games. You join these leagues and that is how you play sport.


I would really have to say that the country is average or mediocre. Same kinds of houses and towns pepper the entire country. They are very laid back and that can be a good thing but I see it as a lack of ambition plus, Aussies just don't seem to care about how their houses look and it is perfectly acceptable to put fresh sod down your your lawn and then park your car on it instead of the drive way. Oh, and I know you won't believe me but alot of people don't wear shoes and walk around barefoot...at the mall, in the street and even when you go into a medical center you see these grown men and women with no shoes. Apparently, Aussies tell me that is part of their culture. Listen, I would never say any of this to an Aussie, this is their world and how they like it to be. So be it. I just kind of sit here and assmilate and use all of the slang they have here. Also, be prepared that every Aussie will tell you as an American that you know nothing about geography...that THEY know all of about the world. What they don't realize is that by the time an American kid is 8 yrs old, he has to know the 50 states of America and each of the state capitals as well as heaps of american and european history. Here the kids have to learn 7 states...uhhhh just a little bit different and leaves tons of school time to learn about world geography...also I find with a young child in the aussie school system that they really don't learn that much about the world anymore, years ago they did but not any more. What Aussies can't understand is when you live in America when you want to travel, you start in your own country and there is soooo many different places to go to. So you start there, move onto Europe, Canada, South America, Asis and then you might get to Australia. But as I said earlier, there is this hatred of Americans right now and if you move here, even strangers will come up to you and say negative things about your homeland. Australia was nothing like I expected and obviously, I will be leaving as I have found people to be unfriendly, closed minded and basically rude. Kids here also use bad language ALOT...young kids, it's embarassing and I don't want my children to grow up like that. Sorry to say all this to you but maybe you could look to another country to move to if the US isn't meeting your stsandards...

No comments:

Post a Comment