Sunday, November 14, 2010

With a few mishaps in my background, will I still be able to be commissioned as an Officer in the military?

Right now, I'm attending my second year in community collage with the plan on transferring out to a Four-Year University once I have my 64 credits. I'm very well wrapped into my studies, in my school work, foreign languages, and studying my interest in both Military/Intelligence and World Affairs. I am a polyglot, speaking several languages. Which including my native tongue of English, I'm also fluent in German, Dutch, Spanish, French, Russian, and Farsi. At the moment I'm working on Swedish, but of course I'm also working to keep my fluency in the others. Once I'm fluent in Swedish, I will probably quit learning new languages and just work at keeping the fluency in all of them.

But once I graduate from collage, hopefully with a BA degree in either Political Science or World Affairs, I would like to join either the Navy or the Army to be commissioned as an officer. I would like to serve in an SOF unit in one of the two, either go into the SEALs or once I fit the rank requirements, go into Special Forces. I also have somewhat of a dream to join the CIA as a Paramilitary Officer, which the both wrap into the same mix. But I do have a few things that I do worry about for officer commission and later CIA employment.



1. First, is my schooling. When I was in 8th grade I was frequently suspended and later expelled. In 9th grade, I was expelled from school for marijuana usage and again in tenth grade for threatening a teacher. I have changed in a large way since that time. But I ended up getting my GED, and now I'm in collage. I'm also working, even volunteering for the USO every Saturday at the local Airport. But I've been told, I may have problems because of those mishaps.



2. Websites. Now this may not be a big deal, but I used to download E-Books from websites like isohunt and thepiratebay. Must of those E-Books were books such as Paladin Press Copies and Anarchist type work. But again, I've changed in a large way from that days. I barely even read, and when I did that was mainly by rebellious side getting a kick out of the literature. Some were how to books of different destructive things, but except for playing around with my friends on my land, we never did anything with the information. But if by any chance there is some file on some of the sites I've been on, that may raise some suspicions.



3. Family. I've heard that in must security clearances that has you in contact with many classified information or just any information at all, they question your family, friends, and some time coworkers and bosses. Well the people at my job and past job won't be a problem, except for my independent keep to myself nature, I have no problems with them. I have no friends so that should be no problem. But my parents and myself never stood on good grounds. Which leads to another issue, I plan on changing my surname to separate myself from them. Nothing else, simply my family. But I can see the questioning of them not going into my favor.



Well that's all I can really think of. Those are some of my goals that I would really like to reach, but somewhat skeptical on accomplishing those goals because of my past.



P.S. I have never been arrested and I do not have a criminal record. Also, I've read that if you want to fulfill a career in many of the Clandestine units within certain government agencies, that you should keep many personal information off the internet. I have never had any form of Internet connection website account, like the face-books and myspaces. And this yahoo account is under my pen name.



Sorry for the length but this was the shortest I can get it. Also I understand that title is somewhat different then some of what I've written. Thank you for all who reads and responds.With a few mishaps in my background, will I still be able to be commissioned as an Officer in the military?
With your degree and past, and given the competitiveness of BUD/S slots for Officers, I can tell you right now you that you'll never get a BUD/S slot as an Officer, or a Navy OCS slot in general (your degree pretty much guarantees that)



Oh and its spelled COLLEGE



also, Officers have to have strong LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES, and since you have no friends... going out on a limb and assuming you aren't a people person which completely goes against being an Officer. You'll probably never get commissioned.With a few mishaps in my background, will I still be able to be commissioned as an Officer in the military?
With fluency in Russian and Farsi, not to mention the other languages, I don't think you will have any trouble commissioning regardless of academic major. Look into joining an rotc program now. Army Rotc and Afrotc are available at many community colleges that have cross town school arrangements with a university with an Afrotc detachment or Rotc battalion. For instance:

http://airforcerotc.berkeley.edu/_crosst鈥?/a>

[Half the colleges listed are community colleges.]

http://www2.lmu.edu/afrotc/cross.htm

This is the surest route to a commission and if the cadre has the opportunity to evaluate your behavior over the course of a semester or two, it will help to mitigate any concerns over anything that may have transpired in 8th or 10th grade.

Good Luck!
Take things one step at a time. You can't apply for OCS until you either have a bachelor's degree or know when you're going to graduate. However, you might want to look into ROTC once you transfer. If you do end up transferring to a four-year school, I'd advise you do one with ROTC in whatever branch you're considering (sounds like Navy? Since you mentioned SEALs) and contact the local ROTC branch before you set foot on campus.



Your past mishaps won't be impossible to overcome, although they're certainly a smudge on your record. Depending on the rest of your package, they might be willing to make a waiver on your behalf.



To get the security clearance, your family will be questioned. No ifs, ands, or buts. Maybe not your entire family, but they'll talk to people who know you well. If you've done nothing wrong, there's nothing to worry about. If your family doesn't like you and lies to the FBI contractor doing the security screening, and your family is caught lying, that family member would be commiting a crime. However, the fact that you claim to have no friends raises a red flag; maybe something tragic recently happened and your old friends aren't there for you anymore. But it causes some concern about whether or not you're officer material, can make decisions, mentally stable, etc. I'm not implying anything, but you better be able to defend why you don't consider that you have friends when questioned.



The language fluency is definitely a plus. You might want to look into being an intelligence officer.
My one piece of advice....



Do not lie about anything and do not volunteer unasked for information



You can not be an officer.....especially an officer in the units you want to be in....without a security clearance..... there will be a background check.... they will find out



I see nothing that would seriously cause you trouble.... but do not lie about ANYTHING..... they never trust a liar



EDIT.... I do not know if you will become a SEAL..... or any of your other dream assignments.... I do know you lose nothing by trying

They told me I would never be an officer...... it took me four applications and a war to get commissioned....but I made it......They said I could not be a Green Beret because I had been Court Martialled .....but I spent 15 years as a Green Beret....



YOU never know till you stop trying



BTW.... Check out the FAO program....you seem a natural for it.... With your Farsi (Salam Ali Kum).... Delta might find a place for you

No comments:

Post a Comment