Sunday, November 14, 2010

Intelligence/Counterintelligen鈥?Agent career possible with poor history, but amibition and brains?

I'm now 25 and have spent the past 7 years putting all my efforts into one area and I've come up empty handed in the end. Time for serious change and an aggressive move forward.



I've always had an interest in government work and law enforcement. I've been considering Active Navy and Air Force Intel. Air Guard, and reserves as well. Since I'm married with a 3-yr-old step-son, and a baby girl due in March, I figured the easiest thing to do for me and my family would be to try and get hired on at the local Police Department. It would allow me good training and a good job, and the ability to continue pursuing my education, not to mention stay home and close to my family.



I took the Alert 07 Police Entrance Exam this Saturday and scored 140/160 (87%). It wasn't as high as I had hoped, but it reserved me a seat to move on to the next step which was an initial interview. Out of about 20-25 candidates, there were only 4 of us remaining for the interview process. Nobody else had passed the exam.



Although I have no criminal history or anything of that nature, upon looking at my issues with Bad Credit, Collections, splotchy work history, and a full year of college in which I only completed 3 credit hours, I was advised to voluntarily withdraw from the application process as I would be disqualified after background investigation. I cannot blame the recruiting officer and/or department policy.



I'm well-aware of how it looks. Irresponsible, unreliable, and lazy. But it's like you have to have a second chance before you can get a second chance. You have to fix it to make it better, but it's got to start getting better in order for you to really fix it. It's a catch-22. Nothing pays well enough (even if I worked multiple jobs) to eliminate the debt, improve credit, and provide for my family. Especially without education. But I can't afford that at the moment, and I'm not eligible for aid because of credit and collections. So easy to fall into this and so difficult to climb out!



I need to do something stable/secure that will pay a decent wage, allow me to get out of the debt/credit crunch, help me to get my college education, and possibly help set me up for a career with meaning with which I can support my family.



I'm now considering Army HUMINT, and the future possibility of Counterintelligence Agent afterward, finishing my degree in Criminal Justice, and trying to secure employment with a government agency. Is this even a remote possibility in my situation. And in the two mentioned Army specialties, what are the realistic chances I may not make it home to my family? What are the chances any of this could even be a feasible reality for me? Even if I fixed my financial status, maintained steady employment, and obtained my college degree(s), is my past too marred for careers with agencies like FBI, NSA, CIA, etc?



I don't want to take risks, make major lifestyle changes for and be away from my family in vain. If I would be wasting my time, tell me. Would government agencies touch me with a 10' pole? If I have a shot, it could be worth it. I don't know what else to do in my life to best provide for my loved ones at this point. Please give me some advice!



Thanks,

J



Intelligence/Counterintelligen鈥?Agent career possible with poor history, but amibition and brains?
First of all, good luck getting a TOP SECRET security clearance with bad credit. When I got mine, they checked EVERYTHING. They even went to my old high school teachers to ask about me.



Second, no matter what job in the military, you will get paid the same. It all depends on your rank and TIS (Time in Service).



Military service is a great way to provide a stable life for your family. Free medical care, a house over their heads and money for food along with some extra spending money. 30 days paid vacation a year is practically unmatched as well.



As with any military job, there is always a chance your family will welcome you back to US with a full blown military funeral service. It's the price we pay to defend our loved ones. It's something well all have to deal with. In these wars we are fighting, there are no front lines. There is no safe zone. Mortars still fall on the green zones of our bases everyday. Every job is put as equal danger. The chances of you deploying in just your first enlistment are 100%.



However, its a nice life when your back at home. It will provide stability and a nice career. Stay in for 7 years and rebuild your credit. Get a degree. Earn that TS clearance and get a job with the government or stay in full 20 years and get a retirement check from the government every month.



Shoot for the stars man, even if you don't make it you'll land somewhere in the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment